baked avocado

Friday night is always date night around here.  Date night pretty much always means something different, whether its staying in or going out, but nonetheless, it happens.  This past week was particularly tiring for me, but I came home took a quick nap and got ready for a nice dinner out.  David and I have been eyeing Five Bar, a new restaurant in downtown Athens that took the place of our favorite, Casa Mia.

First off, I loved the ambiance.  There were many different kinds of beautiful chandeliers hanging from the ceiling all over the restaurant, and huge bulbs framing different signs and pictures.  When our food came, I fell even more in love with Five Bar.  For each section of their menu, there are five choices.  Creative right?

I had forgotten to take my lunch to work that day and also did not have any cash to buy the school lunch, so I was a little extra hungry.  We ordered the baked avocado as an appetizer. I was stunned, it was so good.  
My friend Lauren over at Hall Nesting does a wonderful job recreating dishes from restaurants that she loves.  I had never given thought to trying this, but I was inspired after the baked avocado.  I had to try it.  Now, mine is a little different.  It is not spicy.  My thought was that it would be a great substitute for a baked potato!  And it turned out to be wonderful.
Baked Avocado
Serves 2

1 Hass avocado
2 tsp 0% Fage greek yogurt
1 strip of turkey bacon
1/4 cup of Montery Jack cheese
1/8 tsp garlic powder
Parmesan to sprinkle
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 450.
Slice avocado in half and carefully put insides in small bowl.  Keep avocado shell in tact.
Mash avocado insides and mix in greek yogurt, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Put mixture back into each half of the avocado. Mix in bacon pieces.
Cover in cheese and any remaining bacon.
Bake 10-15 minutes.

Please try it and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Image Map