baked parsnip fries

Today, we played a review game in class.  It reminded me of my first week of teaching high school.  We were playing a game in which the students raced to the board and wrote the answer.  The group whose "runner" writes the correct answer the fastest and most legibly wins.

There was a 6 foot 5 inch tall girl in my class.  She was a basketball player and extremely strong.  After all four teams had run to the board and written answers, I declared team one the winner.  Well this girl had a serious problem with that.  She marched right over to me and picked me up under my arm pits.  She carried me across the room to prove that she had finished first!

At the time, I was terrified. 

However much later, it was hilarious. And I still laugh about it to this day.
I love finding veggie subs for classic dishes.  I know I'm not the only one that loves a good french fry.  So when I found a recipe for a fake french fry, I was excited!  Both David and I loved them! They are still a starch, so we can't have them often, but still a great substitute if you are looking for one.  These were delicious!
Baked Parsnip Fries

1 lb of parsnips, sliced into 1/4 pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp rosemary
Preheat to 425.
After slicing up parsnips, cover in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Lay out on your baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes.  Then, flip the fries over and bake for another 10 minutes.
When they are finished, toss them in rosemary!

Enjoy!

Are there any veggie substitutes that you use for classic dishes?

No comments:

Image Map