skinny croutons


I got you at skinny right?  Well I wouldn't call them healthy, but I would call them much healthier than the normal crouton.  And tastier!

I usually buy a loaf of bread every few weeks for David to make sandwiches.  He really likes some store brand, in-house made breads.  As I was perusing the breads that Kroger makes, I came across their Private Selection line.  They make a Sugar Free 100% Whole Wheat bread.   Amazing!  I have been buying it for David, and he loves it.  It tastes like normal bread!  The only downside is that it is  100 calories per slice.
When I got on my salad kick last week, I thought it would be fun to experiment with croutons.  It was so easy!  David loved them and has even requested more since.  Using roughly six of these croutons only adds about 25 or 30 calories to your salad!  I used both end and middle slices with success.  I promise it will be the perfect extra crunch to jazz up your salad.
Skinny Croutons
Makes 8 servings

Olive Oil
Garlic Salt
Rosemary (dried)

Preheat to 300.  Cut each slice of bread into five rows and then each row into 5 pieces.  
For me, each piece of bread made about 20-25 croutons. I put all of the pieces of bread in a bowl, drizzled olive oil on, sprinkled them with garlic salt and a couple pinches of rosemary.  Toss it all together.  Be sure not to use too much olive oil.  Just a very light coating.

Spread the pieces out on a baking sheet so they are not touching.  Bake for 25 minutes.
Then toss them on your salad!

No comments:

Image Map