Roasted Tomato Basil Soup (no cream/dairy-free)

It is extremely cold outside, so in my world, that calls for soup.  While I love a good can of soup, I have grown to love making it.  My mama was telling me about an amazing tomato soup she had eaten several nights before, and once she said it, I had to have it.  I wanted to make sure it was truly healthy, meaning no cream!  I also wanted it to be dairy-free.  I came across several different recipes and put something really good together! It tastes even better without the cream!
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Makes 8 servings
4 cups roasted cherry tomatoes
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp fresh basil
1 tsp Italian seasoning 
2 cans low sodium diced tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 sweet onion, diced
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Pepper
Parmesan to top soup

Cover the cherry tomatoes lightly in olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Roast them at 400 for 20-25 minutes.

Heat up about a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot.  Once warm, add diced onion and garlic to pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes.  Add in the roasted tomatoes and stir.  Now, add chicken broth, garlic salt, garlic powder, basil, canned tomatoes, and Italian seasoning.  Stir and bring to a boil. 

Once boiling, bring back down to a simmer and cover for 25 minutes.  Using an immersion blender, purée the soup to the consistency of your liking and enjoy!

No comments:

Image Map