Chicken Soup

The weather has definitely messed with me! What about you? Everyone at school (kids and teachers) has been coming down with a nasty flu-like cold.  I thought I had kept myself healthy and free of it, and I was even bragging that I hadn't caught it! Which was probably my mistake!  It hit me like a ton of bricks Wednesday morning.  I have truly done nothing but go to work, coach, and sleep.  I needed this weekend badly!  Fortunately, I have my trusty sidekick to keep me warm as I get some work accomplished!
I have been eating soup for supper since I got sick, and there is truly nothing better than a good chicken soup!  I turned my nose up to it for so long.  My mama would always recommend it at our local La Parillia (only the best Mexican in all of Kennesaw and maybe the world). I finally tried it out around Thanksgiving, and I have never looked back! My life was seriously changed.  Moms are always right aren't they? After I made it the first time, David requested I put it on our regular rotation!  So I must have done something right!
I promise this soup will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  It is perfect for all seasons because of its flavor and warmth!
Chicken Soup

4 cups chicken, shredded
1 large tomato, diced
1 can Hunt's fire roasted tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups green onions
1/2 of a zucchini, very thinly sliced
1 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2-48oz boxes chicken broth, fat free
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 tbsp olive oil
Avocados
Limes
Boil a few chicken breasts for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through.  While the chicken is cooking, warm up the olive oil.  Stir in the green onions and garlic, and sauté for a few minutes.  Then stir in all tomatoes, zucchini, cumin, salt, and pepper and allow them to soften for a few more minutes. Pour chicken broth in and bring to a boil.  Then simmer for 20 minutes.

Once the chicken has finished boiling, shredd it.  Put it in the bottom of the bowls you will be serving.  Then add cilantro and diced avocado to you liking.  Pour soup over the top and ENJOY!!

No comments:

Image Map