insulin resistance

Today was so fun at school! We are studying the Age of Discovery and did a few activities. I blogged about this more on my Teaching page! But here is a snap shot of our fun!

But, on a more serious note...

While I was off enjoying my long weekend a few days ago, I learned some news that will forever change my life. On Friday morning, I found out I have insulin resistance.

WebMD does a great job of explaining what insulin resistance is, so I'll let the "experts":

"Normally, food is absorbed into the bloodstream in the form of sugars such as glucose and other basic substances. The increase in sugar in the bloodstream signals the pancreas (an organ located behind the stomach) to increase the secretion of a hormone called insulin. This hormone attaches to cells, removing sugar from the bloodstream so that it can be used for energy.
In insulin resistance, the body's cells have a diminished ability to respond to the action of the insulin hormone. To compensate for the insulin resistance, the pancreas secretes more insulin.
People with this syndrome have insulin resistance and high levels of insulin in the blood as a marker of the disease rather than a cause.
Over time people with insulin resistance can develop high sugars or diabetes as the high insulin levels can no longer compensate for elevated sugars.
"

The good news is you can fight against insulin resistance and even sometimes reverse the cycle. However, it takes a very strict diet and exercise plan to do so. I immediately started medication, a high protein-high fiber-NO carb diet, and exercise. By not taking care of oneself with insulin resistance, you become at risk for other problems such as osteoporosis, diabetes, cancer and many other things.

So I've decided to make the most of this opportunity by doing the following things:

1. Blogging recipes. I intend on coming up with substitutes for my favorite dishes. Everything I cook will have to be sugar-free, low-fat, and low-carb. So look forward to some healthy dish ideas!

2. Keeping you up-to-date with my progress.

3. And not turning my blog into "the diary of the girl with insulin resistance". But rather, informing you about new healthy options every now and then!

For now I've started this book, to learn as much as I can about my condition. While there was nothing I could have done to prevent becoming insulin resistance, I intend on doing everything I can to reverse the cycle.


For all of those who have been with me over the last year following my progress, this is the end of the road. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. I love you all.

No comments:

Image Map