chickpea summer salad

Confession: I follow most of the Full House stars, as well as Pretty Little Liars on Instagram.  Polar opposites right? I know, but I love these people!

Especially, DJ Tanner or in real life, Candace Brue.  A few weeks ago, she posted a picture of a chickpea summer salad and I have literally been obsessed with it ever since.  I had to make it.  It looked so good and easy.  It also looked like something that would be yummy to pack up for lunches, so I was sold.  I googled and pinterested recipes, eventually making up my own recipe through the combination of several recipes.  I ate my summer salad for dinner last night and it was delicious!  It would be a great dish to take to a party or summer picnic!
Chickpea Summer Salad
Serves 12

2 cans chickpeas (drained)
2-15 oz cans black beans (drained)
1 carton grape tomatoes
1/2 diced cucumber
1 cup cilantro
1/2 small red onion
4 small limes
2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp EVOO
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Optional: Corn

Start by draining all chickpeas and black beans.  I typically layer a paper plate with paper towels and place them there.  You especially don't want any of the extra black bean juice. Set these aside.
Dice up half of a small red onion, I may have used a little less than this, but I'm not a big onion eater.
Quarter all of the grape tomatoes. Set onions and tomatoes aside.

In the bowl, you will be storing or serving this dish in, mix the following together, juice of 4 small limes, cumin, salt, EVOO, and red pepper flakes. Once it is stirred together well, mix in the chickpeas, black beans, onions and tomatoes.

Lastly, chop a cup to cup and a half of cilantro.  Mix it in and garnish with cilantro.

ENJOY this yummy and fresh summer salad!



No comments:

Image Map