smothered spinach chicken

Pre-planning is in full swing and I've been staying up late trying to get everything ready.  I always feel extremely overwhelmed this time of year.  There is so much to get done before the first day! But me and Hazel have still found a little bit of time to get in our FRIENDS for the day ;)

As I have mentioned before, I love 90s music.  It's one of the things that really keeps me going during this time of decorating and rearranging my classroom, creating new lesson plans, pacing guides, syllabi,  common core curriculum and much much more.  So when I arrive in the morning, I immediately put on my playlist and get busy.  

Yesterday morning, one of my favorite 90s songs came on.  I was filling out my desk calendar, singing/rapping EVERY word, and dancing.  I was really not expecting anyone, however my principal was going around the school greeting everyone and stood in my doorway silently watching me as I jammed to Gangsta's Paradise.  Embarrassing. But he thought it was hilarious.

One of the other things that helps me get through this stressful time is cooking.  It's been a long time since I cooked for just David and I, and we both wanted to stay in.  Of course the first place I looked for a recipe was Pinterest.  I was drawn to something called Smothered Chicken.  It sounded great, but not healthy or easy to make! So many ingredients!  I thought I might be able to make a easier, faster, and healthier version.  It turned out great! Husband approved!
Smothered Spinach Chicken
4 chicken breasts
Garlic salt
Seasoned salt
1 package of frozen chopped spinach
1 package of frozen mushrooms
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp 0% Fage greek yogurt
Mozzarella cheese

Chicken:
Preheat to 350.
Cover chicken breasts in garlic salt and seasoned salt.
Bake for 40 minutes.

Smothering:
You will need two skillets.
In one, put a dash of water and the spinach.  Begin cooking and add minced garlic. Cook down.
In the other skillet, put a dash of olive oil and the mushrooms. Cook down.
Once mushrooms have cooked, drain excess water and add to the spinach over low heat.
Add Fage yogurt and fold together.

Once your chicken is cooked, add "smothering" on top.  Then add as much mozzarella as you would like.  It will melt from the heat!  The "smothering" would also be good as a side!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Image Map