the real hunger games

We started our legislative branch unit in government this week.  Before we can really get into things, I try to lay a foundation of what the branch is about, how it functions, and its different parts.  Today, we discussed the House of Representatives.  I gave the class a map of Georgia, and we all drew the 14 districts, which led to conversations about apportionment and gerrymandering.

One of my students looked dazed.  She was obviously in deep thought.  I asked her what was wrong and she exclaimed, "Y'ALL, THE HUNGER GAMES IS REAL!!!!" Then another student screamed, "I WISH I LIVED IN THE 12th DISTRICT! THERE MIGHT BE A REAL KATNISS! AND MORE DISTRICTS!"

I cried I laughed so hard.  I literally couldn't wait to get to lunch to tell the other teachers.  I hope this little girl was showing me how she applied her new knowledge today, instead of totally dazing out as soon as I said 14 districts!
A few nights ago, I tried a new salad out for dinner!  I found the recipe in a magazine but needed to make some adjustments.  It turned out to be very good.  There was so much flavor!  I would definitely recommend giving it a try!
Brussels Sprout Salad

One bag of fresh brussels sprouts
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 tbsp Splenda brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Using either a chopper, food processor, or knife, shred the brussels sprouts.  Whisk the next five ingredients together.  Pour over the shredded brussels sprouts and toss until covered.

Refrigerate until serving and ENJOY!

No comments:

Image Map