butternut squash noodles with spinach, ricotta, and toasted pecans

I've made a lot of zoodles (zucchini noodles) recently.  With pasta being my first love--sorry David, I am always looking for ways to make similar dishes no carb!  I absolutely love my Paderno Spiral Veggie Slicer.  I mean seriously!  And they are on sale right now, so it is the perfect time to get yourself one if veggie noodles interest you!  
I got the idea to spiral a butternut squash the other day.  I've been wanting to try something other than zucchini for awhile... and I'm REALLY glad I did!  I was trying to think of fall flavors to incorporate in my dish.  I have never made up a dish before, so I was really nervous.  I even had a back up dinner ready to go if it failed miserably!
Fortunately, that back up dinner did not get made.  The butternut squash noodles turned out to be amazing.  All of my flavors came together so well.  It felt like fall melting in my mouth!
This is a easy to make recipe that I know you will love.  I get hungry all over again thinking about it!  It would also be good with regular pasta!

Butternut Squash Noodles with Spinach, Ricotta, and Toasted Pecans
Serves 4

1 large butternut squash
1 package of frozen leaf spinach
1 2.25 oz package of pecans
4 tbsp low fat ricotta cheese
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
2 large chicken breasts
2 tsp minced garlic
Olive oil
Garlic salt
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350.
Spiral butternut squash.
Toss pecans on greased sheet pan and toast them for 5 minutes.  Then, set aside.
Season chicken breasts with garlic salt and pepper.  Cook in skillet for 10 minutes, or until done.
Cook spinach as package instructs.  

While chicken and spinach cook, heat up olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in large skillet until fragrant.  About 2-3 minutes.  Be careful not to let the garlic burn.  Then toss in the butternut squash noodles.  Cook until tender.

In a large bowl, combine the cooked spinach, squash noodles, and toasted pecans.  Lastly, stir in ricotta and parmesan cheese.  Once everything has melted, serve it up with sliced chicken on top!  
And enjoy!
If you try it, let me know what you think!
After dinner we finally got around to carving our pumpkin.  Isn't he a cutie?



No comments:

Image Map