Sweet Acorn Squash Slices

Student A: Can I hang my project from deer antlers?
Me: I guess soooo? As long as they don't smell or anything.
Student B: The deer is dead, it "cain't" smell no more!

Yes... unfortunately, "cain't" (combination of can't and ain't) is a real word they say!
And yes, that is a real conversation I had last week.  Wish I was kidding!

I went to Aldi on a whim.  I cannot express to you how happy I am that I made that decision.  They had all of my favorite fall/winter squashes for $1.49 A PIECE! Normally, butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash is roughly $1.89 a pound! I decided to buy one of each, and just figure out how to use them later.  I started with the spaghetti squash and made chicken alfredo with it.  It was amazing.  Then I got out the acorn squash...
I have used it before, but I wanted to make it sweet this time--like a sweet potato.  
Sweet Acorn Squash Slices

1 acorn squash
2 tbsp butter (more if you have a larger squash)
3 tbsp Splenda brown sugar
Salt
Preheat to 400.  Slice acorn squash longwise. Spread them out on a sprayed baking sheet.

Melt butter and stir in brown sugar until well blended.  Using a spoon or baking brush, cover both sides of squashes with mixture.

Roast for 20 minutes, flip the squash, brush left over mixture on and roast for 10 more minutes.

Makes for a beautiful side dish!

What do you do with acorn squash?

No comments:

Image Map